In the digital age, where information is weighted by its brevity and accessibility, URL shorteners have become an essential tool. URL shorteners simplify and manage long URLs.
An Application Programming Interface (API) provided by a URL-shortening service allows developers to integrate link-shortening functionality into their applications, websites, or services seamlessly.
Top 8 URL Shortener APIs
URL shortener APIs can be a valuable resource for developers looking to integrate URL-shortening functionality into their applications or services. The following list includes the most trusted, reliable, and innovative URL shortener APIs:
“Your Brand on Your Links”
With Rebrandly, you can use a custom domain name to create short URLs. You can register a domain name directly with Rebrandly and start shortening all your links in minutes without any technical knowledge.
With 20,000+ developers already using Rebrandly, it’s the most trusted platform by developers looking to use short URLs with their own domain on their apps. For more on the differences between short links and links containing your domain, check out this short video.
- Branded Short Domains: Customize your links with brand names, ensuring every URL carries your unique signature.
- Comprehensive Link Analytics: Gauge the performance of your shared links, understand audience interaction, and tweak your outreach strategies based on real-time data.
- Developer-friendly API: Integrate link management and shortening functionalities directly into your existing applications or workflows. This flexible API allows for bespoke integration, catering to a range of business needs.
- Easy-to-use Interface: Whether you’re a seasoned developer or a marketing newbie, Rebrandly’s design ensures you can navigate and utilize all its features with ease.
- Domain Management: Secure and manage custom domains for your branded links, all under one unified platform.
- Collaboration Tools: Work seamlessly with your team, share access, and manage user roles, ensuring everyone’s on the same page.
- Pros: Great tool if you want to share links that contain your brand (dedicated domain name); Free; Simple to use.
- Cons: Most advanced features and large-scale link creation require paid plans.
Check out Rebrandly API page for more information.
“Your Own URL Shortener”
Yourls is a small set of PHP scripts that allow you to run your own URL-shortening service. Keep in mind that Yourls has to be installed on your server and it can be difficult to maintain. Also, the tool is not scalable unless you have a dedicated team of engineers focused on this project as well as many servers.
- Analytics: Good analytics capabilities.
- Pros: Can be installed on your server; Completely free.
- Cons: Requires ongoing hosting and maintenance costs; Difficult to scale for larger traffic.
“Get the most from Your Links”
This URL shortener API allows users to monitor, compare, and optimize all marketing links in one place to increase the conversion rate.
- Superior Analytics: Track and analyze link performance.
- Deep Links & Multiple Redirects: Redirect based on language, country, device, and more.
- Conversion Tracking & Retargeting: Improve marketing strategies and user targeting.
- Dedicated Domains: Use multiple custom domains for branding.
- Pros: Comprehensive feature set; Scalable up to 1 billion clicks per month; High reliability.
- Cons: Higher cost for increased traffic tracking.
“Unleash the power of the link”
Bitly is a well-known URL shortener API, with millions of shortened links.
- Basic Analytics: Track link performance.
- Deep Links: Create links that direct to specific app screens.
- Pros: Widely integrated with various apps and services.
- Cons: Limited link editing capabilities; API restrictions for commercial use.
“Make your links manageable.”
Owly is the short URL generator created by Hootsuite. It offers a straightforward URL shortener API.
- Basic Analytics: Track link performance.
- Pros: Free; Simple to use; Integrated within HootSuite.
- Cons: Limited features; Must be a Hootsuite user.
Check out Owly API Page for more information.
“Smart and easy way to get extra income from your traffic.”
Shorte.st is focused on the advertising layer of custom links. Their URL shortener API is easy to install.
- Monetization System: Earn revenue from link shares.
- Pros: Monetization opportunity for marketers.
- Cons: Links can appear spammy.
Check out Shorte.st API Page for more information.
“The call to action for your links”
Sniply adds a custom call-to-action to shared web links to engage your audience better.
- Custom Call-to-Action: Add CTAs to shared links.
- Retargeting & Analytics: Engage and analyze audience interactions.
- Pros: Boost conversion rates and brand visibility.
- Cons: Free version limitations; Restrictions on major platforms.
“Simplify your links, track & manage them.”
Cuttly is a link management and URL-shortening platform with branding capabilities.
- Branded URLs: Customize your short links for better branding.
- Pros: Detailed analytics; Free URL shortener.
- Cons: Limited enterprise-level features.
Check out Cuttly API Page for more information.
The following are the most frequently asked questions about the best free URL shortener APIs for short links:
Can I shorten a URL for free?
Yes, you can create short links for free using powerful API services. These APIs offer different features and functions that you can use to shorten long URLs without any cost.
How do I shorten a URL using API?
To shorten a URL using an API, you can utilize a URL shortener API service, such as Rebrandly. These services offer APIs that allow you to programmatically submit a long URL and receive a shortened version in response. Typically, you’ll need to make an HTTP POST or GET request to the API endpoint, passing your long URL as a parameter. The API will then return the shortened URL that you can use in your application or share with others.
How do I get a free URL?
To get a free URL, you can use a free domain registration service or a subdomain service. Sign up with one of these services, follow their registration process, and choose an available URL. Keep in mind that free domains may come with certain limitations or restrictions, and they might not be as customizable or professional as paid domain options.
Which is the best URL shortener?
One of the best URL shorteners is Rebrandly. Rebrandly offers a user-friendly interface, customizable short links, detailed analytics, and the ability to use your custom domain. It’s a popular choice for businesses and marketers looking to brand their links and track their performance effectively. However, the “best” URL shortener can vary depending on your specific needs, so it’s essential to consider your requirements before choosing one.